If you consult your Australia’s Sustainable Seafood Guide, you’ll want to choose fish which are ranked “Green – Better choice”, such as imported canned salmon, predominantly Sockeye (Red) and Pink Salmon. Coral trout are on the “Amber – think twice” rank, and Atlantic Salmon, cod and ocean trout are on the “Red – no” rank.
For choosing sustainable seafood:
- Australia’s Sustainable Seafood Guide and app – Australian Marine Conservation Society
- FishBase – search to find out more about the fish on your plate
- Good Fish Bad Fish
- Good Fish Guide (UK) – Marine Conservation Society
- Greenpeace’s International Seafood Red List of seafood that is sourced from unsustainable fisheries and sustainable seafood
- Sustainable Seafood Product Finder – Marine Stewardship Council(MSC)
Salmon and potato salad recipe (Russian)
2 organic, free-range eggs
3-4 boiled potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, chopped
1 fillet salmon
150ml white wine
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Bring water to the boil and immediately remove from the heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove eggs from the water, cool and peel.
- While the eggs are cooking, place potatoes in a saucepan with just enough water to cover. Bring to the boil, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the heat, drain and set aside.
- Heat half the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Brown the onions. Remove from the pan.
- Heat the other half of the oil in the same frying pan and sear the salmon both sides quickly over high heat.
- Turn down the heat and add the white wine. Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Flake salmon and spread it over the bottom of the serving dish. Spread the onions over the top, then drizzle over some mayonnaise. Top with potatoes, and a little more mayonnaise. Finally slice the eggs, and place on top. Drizzle with mayonnaise and garnish with the parsley.
- Chill for an hour before serving.
TIP – You could use tinned new potatoes to make it quicker and diabetes friendly.