Here’s a list of paleo and primal food in Australia. Please leave a comment if you have anything to add. Thanks for all the contributions over at Mark’s Daily Apple.
- Supplements – iherb.com
- Organic dates: Coles but not Woolworths
- Coconut milk and cream with no additives/emulsifiers etc: Ayam-brand coconut milk in the Asian section. There is also an organic line. – Woolworths.
- Organic shredded coconut, Macro-brand: Woolworths
- Macro almond butter – Woolworths
- Grass fed meat – Aldi
- Lindt 85% chocolate, Green and Blacks 85% chocolate – Woolworths, Coles, IGA
- Chocolate, coconut sugar etc – Loving Earth
- Free range chicken – Coles and Woolworths
- 180 nutrition protein powder
- Paleo Hero – muesli, bars and supplements
- Paleo Café – various locations
- Coconut yoghurt: Coyo
- Grass fed butter – Mainland Butter and Anchor butter and Westgold
- beef jerky – Geronimo Jerky
- Organic coconut oil – http://www.aclarahealth.com.au/products.htm
- Nuilife coconut oil
- Spiral Foods coconut oil
- Various – Honest to Goodness
Adelaide and South Australia
- Meat – organic/grass-fed etc: P&O organic butchers, located in the city in the David Jones basement in Food Glorious Food, and also on Magill Road. The Magill Road one is far more useful if you are looking for the more ‘uncommon’ parts of meat.
- Coconut Oil – available in several places in and around the Central Market, but for the best value/selection I go to Goodies and Grains in the Central Markets (Gouger St side).
- Coconut Flour – order it through the health food store in Burnside Village.
- Spices/nuts/dutch pressed cocoa/agave nectar – Goodies and Grains in Central Market
Brisbane and Queensland
- Grass fed beef: Super Butchers have a wide selection of grass-fed beef.
- Grass fed meat: Meatcart – Online butchers
- Grass fed beef and lamb delivered throughout Queensland – Mitchell Grass Meats
- Queensland Natural Beef at Toogoolawah have grass fed beef, lamb and pork
- Gympie St Terrace Butchery is the place to go. You can even order nitrate free bacon before hand. It’s all grass fed and local meats.
- My Butcher in Duke St also stock some pretty darned nice beef
- Eumundi has an organic butcher as well
Canberra and Australian Capital Territory
- Coconut flour: Healthy life, Woden Westfield. IGA Deakin
- Griffith shops has an organic butcher
- Mountain Creek Whole Foods
- Nut Shoppe at the Fyshwick markets good for coconut flour and oils and nuts
Melbourne and Victoria
- Supplements and stock Wicked Whey (choc) and Naked Whey (unflavoured), which are good, clean, locally-made, grass-fed whey protein products – Great Earth
- Kefir – Polish deli at Vic Market
- Rendina’s Butchery in Balwyn sell a huge range of organic, bd and free range meats, including home made smallgoods (and are lovely people).
- The Vic Market is great with loads of super fresh organic veggies, nuts and spices, and the Chicken Pantry in the shop section sells free range and some organic poultry and game. McIntosh’s sell organic coffee beans.
- Cherry Tree Organics in Beaconsfield are butchers selling their own organic/bd lamb and beef as well as pork, chicken and smallgoods. They also have vegies and some fruit and order bath milk for anyone who likes to take milk baths. They also stock True Organic butter and cheeses.
- I get coconut flour, flakes, and a couple of different brands of oil from Go Vita Berwick
Perth and Western Australia
- Free range eggs – Wanneroo markets, local IGAs have Kalbarri eggs
- Pork Crackle- there’s a local brand called Alan’s Pork Crackle, based in Maddington, you have to hunt down which local IGAs or Farmer Jacks stock them!
- Spices, alternative flours, chia seeds etc – Wanneroo markets,
- Coconut flour – Health Kick stores have Nui brand, can ask them to order it in
- Coconut oil – Health Kick stores, and some Friendlies Chemists have them too!
- Cocoa powder Green and Blacks- Health Kick stores
- Grass Fed Beef at Subiaco’s farmers markets and frozen raw cows milk
Sydney and New South Wales
- Grassfed beef: Hudson meats in Surry Hills is almost exclusively grassfed. Additionally, I just asked my local butcher, Michael’s Meats (very well priced, in the Surry Hills shopping village) whether his meat was grassfed and he said that almost all of it is. Additionally, Eveleigh Markets near Sydney Uni on a Saturday has a grassfed beef stall (Greenhill Organic meat).
- grassfed beef, lamb and goat from farms in Bowral – Sydney Meats, Farm Fresh to your Door
- Vanilla beans: Organic Vanilla Powder 30-90g – Professional Whey Protein Powder & Sports Supplements at Wholesale Prices
- FivefingersThe Adventure Megastore – Home of Adventure in Sydney City. They are Australian priced though so cost way more than in the USA. Excellent customer service!
- Kefir grains, coconut yoghurt and macadamia butter: About Life in Bondi junction, Sydney
- Enoki mushrooms - paddy’s markets mushroom stand for $1.50 a bunch. Asian Thai-kee IGA above china town paddy’s markets has the same enoki for $1.90
- Coconut/palm sugar: Thai kee IGA above paddy’s markets in Chinatown. They have all the dried seaweeds (and some fresh (frozen) too.
- Grass fed beef etc– Slowly Does It http://slowlydoesit.com.au/
- The Free Range Butcher, Sydney
- the Grass Fed Butcher, Balmain markets
- Nitrite free bacon: Sam the Butcher, Bondi Rd, Bondi.
- Spaghetti squash: Norton St Grocer in Westfield, Bondi Junction
- Real sauerkraut: the Russkis Deli on Bond Rd, Bondi
- Adam’s Quality Meats in Gerringong, NSW has only grass-fed beef and lamb.
- Kelty Farm – supply completely pasture fed beef. I buy mine from Eumurrah shop in Launceston.