Australia isn’t known for its bread, but we do have damper. To make the traditional campfire bread more festive I’ve added some herbs from the garden, some leftover semi-dried tomatoes and a fresh tomato from our garden. The green and red flecks of colour make it ideal to serve at this time of the year. We prefer semi-dried tomatoes to the full sun-dried ones.
2 cups of self-raising flour
2 tbps chopped chives and basil
6 semi-dried tomatoes
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup milk
- Sift flour into a bowl and rub in butter with your fingertips.
- Add the herbs and chopped tomatoes and mix.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture, add the combined water and milk in batches.
- Mix quickly to form a soft dough. Add more flour or water/milk, if required, to get the right consistency.
- Place on a tray lined with baking paper. Brush with milk.
- Bake at 220°C for 15-20 minutes.