These espresso, date and pecan muffins are an ideal morning tea treat. I’ve adapted this from a recipe which was originally figs and walnuts, so you could substitute those instead. The espresso gives them a nice coffee kick which helps blow away the cobwebs.
Espresso, date and pecan muffins recipe
200g dried dates, pitted
150ml strong coffee
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g brown sugar
250g plain flour
a pinch of salt
115g butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
75g pecans, roughly chopped
- Line a 12 hole muffin tray with muffin papers, and preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Finely chop the dates and then soak them in the coffee in a bowl. Add the bicarbonate of soda.
- Put the sugar and flour in a large mixing bowl with a pinch of salt.
- Combine the melted butter and eggs in a bowl or jug.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ones, add the date and coffee mixture, the pecans and stir together quickly. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cases and bake for 25-30 minutes, until well risen and golden.