After much debate with my husband, we have come up with this list of our top ten food experiences to have in Brisbane:
- Award winning Very chocolate gelato from Sugo Mi Gelateria.
- Fat Pho Noodles at Fat Noodle
- Sustainable fish and chips from Swampdog.
- Coffee at Cup Cafe
- Authentic Italian wood-fired pizza from Vespa Pizza
- Romantic dinner for two at Montrachet
- A slice of cake from the Welsh Lady
- Three course celebration lunch at Aria Restaurant
- A takeaway wrap from Cafe Wrapture
- A selection of chocolates from Mayfield Chocolates
What are your favourite eating experiences in Brisbane?
“100 Food experiences to have before you die” by Stephen Downes, is an easy book to read in short bursts as each food experience is only a page or two long (which is perfect for my daily commute on the train). Many of the food experiences described can only be had overseas, so it would be hard to replicate, although you might be wishing you were there. Some of the mini-chapters contain interesting food trivia and tips on cooking the perfect dish.
Stephen’s ‘perfect 10s’ food experiences are:
- Murray River pink salt
- a home-grown tomato
- freshly opened Pacific oysters
- proper chocolate
- Japanese rice crackers at a Shinkansen Station
- minutes old sashimi carved from your own catch
- fresh lychee
- raw-milk cheeses
- a ripe mango
- lady in pink (apple)
- raw fugu fish
The stories of each experience are entertaining and humorous. The section on the fourth mango might even make you blush!
Emma’s top food experiences are:
- Matt’s bbq on the Weber
- Mum’s roast ham with scolloped potatoes and carrots
- Fondue with secret sauce
- Lamb chops
- Lindt dark chocolate
- Italian pizza with a thin crust
- Tagliatelle with ragu
- Piccata al limone (veal with lemon sauce)
- Chocolate mousse
- Yakitori chicken with perfect steamed rice
Matt’s recommends the following food experiences:
- Bacon butty with HP sauce, pot of Yorkshire tea
- Fish and chips with mushy peas, Fullers ESB
- Italian wood fired oven pizza
- Pork goulash with dumplings, Pilsner Urquell
- Beef in stout with dumplings, Guinness extra stout
- Tagliatelle with ragu, Montepulciano D’abruzzo
- Roast lamb, potatoes and Yorkshire pudding, Black Sheep Ale
- Knackwurst in beer, Schneider Weisse German Ale
What do you recommend? Send your top 5 to the Traveller’s Lunchbox who is compiling all the suggestions.