Avocados are high in good fats and are great for your skin.
We often have guacamole on Sunday afternoon as a snack. After lots of trial and error, this is currently my favourite combination. George doesn’t like any type of onion so I leave it out for his half. We like to serve the dip with Byron Bay corn chips as they let the flavour of the guac shine through. I only season with pepper as the corn chips are usually salty enough.
Best guacamole recipe
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lime or ½ lemon, juiced
1 large tomato or a small handful of cherry tomatoes
1 spring onion or onion chives
- Cut avocado in half and remove the seed. Then gently dice the flesh in a cross-hatch pattern, taking care not to break through the peel.
- Squeeze avocado out into a bowl. Mash the avocado and mix in the olive oil.
- Add the juice of a lime (or lemon) for zing.
- Then whisk vigorously with a fork to combine. You could use a blender if you wanted a really smooth texture.
- Cut up the tomato and add.
- Finely slice the green part of one spring onion, or dice a few onion chives. Add and just mix to combine.
- Season with pepper.
Optional: If you like, add diced coriander and/or chili for a more authentic taste.
Here is my romantic recipe for heart shaped corn fritters, with oven roasted tomatoes and crispy bacon strips. This is an easy recipe to remember and is perfect for a lazy Sunday morning.
Heart shaped corn fritters recipe
310g can of corn kernels, rinsed and drained
2 eggs, lightly whisked
2 tbs chopped fresh parsley
2 tbs plain flour
- Place the corn, egg, parsley and flour in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- To create the heart shaped fritters I used a cookie cutter that had been coated in a little butter so the fritter would fall out easily. You can, of course, spoon a tablespoon of batter straight into the pan.
- Repeat to make 3 more fritters, leaving about 2cms apart, and cook for 2 minutes each side, or until golden and cooked through. Repeat until the batter is all gone.
- Meanwhile, cut tomatoes in half, and grill the wrong side for 2 minutes. Turn over to the cut half, and sprinkle with finely chopped garlic and parsley or other herbs, and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over olive oil. Grill for a further 6 minutes.
- Cook strips of bacon as usual, and serve together with fritters and tomatoes. Preferably to a loved one in bed!