Transition tip: Make your own green cleaners.
It’s easy to make your own green cleaners with a few tried-and-true recipes. You’ll be protecting your health by avoiding using toxic chemicals in your home and these are better for the environment. Better yet, you’ll find yourself saving money.
What’s not to love?
Here’s a round up of my posts on how to make your own green cleaners:
Conventional bathroom cleaners often contain harsh toxic chemicals.
Washing soda cleans hard surfaces such as walls, sinks, tiles and tubs, but it rusts aluminum.
To remove mould from a shower curtain, mix 2 tablespoons of tea tree oil with 2 cups of water, spritz on and leave for a least two hours.
Vinegar also kills mould.
Other green bathroom cleaner products to try are:
We had some persistent mould in our house, and finally got a professional to have a look at it. We received the following advice on using vinegar:
1. Vacuum the area with a HEPA filter vacuum cleaner, using the small brush.
2. Wash the area using a mixture of 80% Anchor white vinegar and 20% water. Use three buckets, two filled with clean water to rinse your cloth in-between.
The off the shelf products on the market contain mostly bleach, so it will appear as if the mould is gone, but the spores may still be present. Try not to wipe in big strokes – otherwise you’ll just spread the spores. It’s best to use a micro-fibre cloth over a board and do a small area at a time.
Tracey Stranger says:
“Cloves are naturally potent as antifungal, antimicrobial, antiseptic, antioxidant, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and analgesic….
To kill mould, first you need to dilute (12 drops per 100ml) the pure essential clove oil in filtered or purified water then put it into a spray bottle. Spray the surface and then leave for 20 minutes. Wipe the surface clean and re-spray and leave it as it will take 24-48 hours for the mould spores to die.”
Once you have cleaned the area, you need to keep it dry to prevent the mould from reoccurring. Annie Clark recommends closing all windows and doors when it rains to stop moisture entering your house. A dehumidifier can help take moisture out of the air. You can also use products which absorbs water in your cupboards and wardrobes, such as Cli~mate Dry Egg or Indicating Silica Gel packets.