I’m tentatively interested in goats. I’m not sure we will own them while we live in inner Brisbane.
Goats eat brush, leaves, rough plants and weeds.
- shelter, bedding and secure fencing
- feed bowls
- dark-coloured buckets or stock tank
- mineral feeder and hay feeder
Depending on your requirements you will select one of the following breeds:
Fibre: Agnora or Pygora goats produce mohair. Cashmere are a type, not a breed.
Milk: Your goats will need to have kids. Alpine, Guernsey, Kinder, Lamancha, Oberhasli, Nigerian Dwarf, Nubian, Saanen, Sable, Pygmy, Toggenburg.
Meat: Goats meat is low in fat. Boer, Kiko, Savanna, Spanish, Tennessee
Urban: Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy
- The Backyard Goat: An Introductory Guide to Keeping and Enjoying Pet Goats, from Feeding and Housing to Making Your Own Cheese – by Sue Weaver
- Storey’s Guide to Raising Dairy Goats – by Jerry Belanger
- Storey’s Guide to Raising Meat Goats – by Maggie Sayer
- Goats 101 – mailing list
- How to build a quonset hut shelter for goats and other animals
- How to build a goat barn
- Meat goat home study course – Penn State Cooperative Extension
- Nutrient Calculators and free online training for meat producers – Goat Research – Langston University
- Practical goats – mailing list