Cooked for the Swiss entry in The World Cup and Plate challenge. The recipe has been adapted from the Swiss Winter in the Alps: Food by the Fireside cookbook by Manuela Darling-Gansser. A filling warm meal perfect for winter.
15g butter, unsalted
2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
2 lamb or veal shanks
1 onion, sliced
1 turnip, diced
4 carrots, sliced
bunch of silverbeet, sliced
2 litres of water
- Heat the butter and oil in a saucepan, and brown the meat on all sides. Remove them to a plate, and brown the onion.
- Add the turnips and carrots and cook until they start to change colour.
- Add the silverbeet and water and let the soup simmer for about an hour.
- Remove the bones. Scrap out any marrow and return it to the pot. Break up any large pieces of meat with a wooden spoon.
- Stir the parsley through the soup and season to taste.