1/4 cup Olive oil
500g lamb meat, chunks
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tin of diced tomatoes with juice
1 stick of cinnamon
30g of butter
200g risoni or orzo
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the lamb in batches until golden on all sides, then transfer the meat to a plate.
- Saute the onions until golden and softened. Add the garlic and cook for another half a minute, then return the meat to the pan.
- Add the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and add the cinnamon and the butter. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Trasfer the mixture to a casserole dish and add 4 cups of hot water.
- Cover and bake for an hour or until the lamb is tender.
- Rinse the pasta in a fine sieve, drain and add to the casserole dish. Mix through, cover and return it to the oven for another 15 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked and has absorbed most of the sauce.
- You may need to adjust the pasta cooking time and add more water if needed.
- Serve hot. You may like to sprinkle grated parmesan, pecorino, feta or haloumi over the top.
VARIATION: I’m planning on trying this one with rice, but you’d need to add it about 45 minutes in so that it cooks through. If you use rice it’ll will be gluten-free. Leave off the cheese on the top to make it dairy-free.