Lasagne al Forno – Delia Smith
Italian: lasagne al forno (with meat sauce)
Lasagne is the well known baked pasta dish from the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy. The dish uses sheets of pasta layered with slow-cooked bolognese, cream sauce and topped with cheese. There are two different traditional versions – one uses bechamel suace, while another uses egg whisked with milk for the top layer only.
I’ve had more luck using fresh sheets of lasagne then the dry packet ones. It’s also important to add enough moisture so it doesn’t dry out in the oven.
The bolognese sauce can be made ahead of time, and dish assembled on the day required. As the dish is quite time consuming, some Italians reserve it for important celebrations.
Serve with a green salad and crusty bread.
- How to cook perfect lasagne – Felicity Cloake
- Lasagne video – Guy Grossi
- Chicken and pesto lasagne – Mitzie Wilson
- Gourmet lasagne (Festoni del Ghiottone) – Antonio Carluccio
- Oxtail Lasagne – Emma Knowles
- Simple baked lasagne – Jamie Oliver
- Spinach and ricotta lasagne – Real Living