Inspired by Down to Earth‘s natural raspberry cordial from scratch, I decided to try a reduced version of the recipe. I made a few mistakes with my first attempt. I didn’t strain the raspberries as Rhonda suggests, but I found it way too bitsy for my liking. I also accidentally forgot the lemon, but I knew as soon as I tasted it that it was what was missing. Incidentally I was pleasantly surprised to find that Creative Gourmet has an organic range of raspberries. Although they are all the way from Chile. Now I know how simple and delicious this is to make I’m sure to be trying it again soon.
300g raspberries, frozen or fresh
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 cups water
1/2 cup lemon, juiced
- Defrost the raspberries, if using frozen.
- Make a sugar syrup by using boiling water and sugar. Alternatively, heat the water and sugar in a pot. Stir until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Add the raspberries and lemon juice.
- Blend with a stick blender.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve to remove the seeds and fibre (optional).
- Pour mixture into a bottle and store in the refrigerator.
- Use a small amount of the concentrate and add water or mineral water.