I tell people I’m allergic to chilli and they just don’t get it. They think I don’t like spicy food. Actually I love spicy food and used to love the taste of chilli in curries. Fortunately, I don’t have a life threatening true allergy to chilli, it’s an intolerance. I do, however, get terrible double-over tummy cramps if I eat anything with chilli or paprika in it.
Many companies have started to add chilli to their food to add flavour (especially ones that are trying to reduce fat, salt and sugar levels). Even though the food labelling laws are fairly good in Australia, it can be listed under a generic label of “spices”, which incidentally can also include MSG. It is possible to contact the company and find out precisely what the ingredients of a particular product are and I have found the majority of companies I have contacted very helpful.
Although I have had people lie to me about what is in their food. I can’t believe how ignorant people are about allergies and intolerances.
Here are some of the foods that I’ve learnt to be careful with:
- Beetroot, tinned – containing spices. Edgell sliced beetroot in a tin is safe.
- Greek restaurants – often sprinkle paprika over their meat, including kebabs.
- Grill’d burgers – contain spices. They did not reply to my email to say if it was chilli or not.
- Herbamare Spicy – contains chilli. The Original version is safe.
- KFC – original and hot’n’spicy chicken, bbq sauces. Chips are safe.
- McDonalds – most of their burgers contain spices.
- The Meating Place – 100% beef sausages actually contain paprika. Their 100% pork sausages contain nutmeg.
- Mustard – often contains spices.
- Nandos – cross-contamination
- Olives and pickles- often contain spices. Be wary of spoon swapping in delis and at the markets. Sandhurt Sicilian green olives are safe.
- Red food colouring – often listed as natural as it’s paprika.
- Red Rooster – the stuffing and the seasoning on the chicken contains spices. Ask for no salt on the chips and add your own.
- Seasonings – Masterfood’s All Purpose Seasoning, Chicken Salt, Italian Herbs, Pizza Topper, etc