Aquaponics is a nature-based system and can loosely be described as the combination of aquaculture and hydroponics. Aquaculture is fish keeping and hydroponics is the growing of plants in a soil-less medium.
– Faye Arcaro and Joel Malcolm
As I started to read about aquaponics I quickly became overwhelmed – it’s like a completely different way of gardening and seems terribly expensive to set up. I’m not entirely sold on the idea of eating food grown in water. It seems too artificial for me. What about all the trace elements?
Ideal fish in Australia for an aquaponics system include Barramundi, Catfish, Jade Perch, Murray Cod, Silver Perch and Trout.
Anyhow, here are some of the great resources I discovered….
Books and dvds
- Aquaponic Gardening – by Sylvia Bernstein
- Aquaponics Made Easy DVD – Murray Hallam
- Backyard Aquaponics – Joel Malcolm
- The Urban Aquaponics Manual – Gary Donaldson
- Aquaponics HQ forum
- Backyard Aquaponics
Are you sold on aquaponics?