Just for a bit of fun, I thought I’d list the top food trends of the moment:
- Coconut products – coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut yoghurt. Did you know you could even get coconut vinegar and coconut sugar?
- Fermented foods – are sell outs at our local markets, but I’m starting to see it pop up in the popular press with recipes for people to try making them at home.
- Bacon wrapped foods – including plaited bacon covering roasts and eggs wrapped in bacon ‘muffins’.
- Whole roasted cauliflower
- Grass-fed meat – because it is healthier for you and healthier for the animals. It’s starting to appear in the major supermarkets.
- Drinking out of glass jars and old-fashioned milk bottles. Now selling in Kmart.
- Boutique coffee roasters
- Sugar-free diet. Lead by Sarah Wilson and her I Quit Sugar books.
- The paleo diet.
- Watercress is the new kale. Recently topping a super foods list.
Ghee and lard, intermittent fasting and making your own alternate milks just missed out. I’ve also noticed pineapple motifs are becoming popular.
What food trends have you noticed recently?
Photo by Jan