Here’s our super long list of paleo and primal food in Australia.
Tip – Just ask your local butcher if the meat is grass fed? And how it is finished? We were surprised to find grass fed meat is often not advertised.
- Almond butter – Macro – Woolworths
- Chocolate – look for sugar free brands – Lindt 85%, Green and Blacks 85% – Woolworths, Coles, IGA
- Organic dates – Coles but not Woolworths
- Coconut milk and cream with no additives/emulsifiers etc: Ayam-brand coconut milk in the Asian section. There is also an organic line. – Woolworths.
- Coconut yoghurt: Coyo
- Grass fed meat – Aldi, Coles, Woolworths
- Organic shredded coconut, Macro-brand: Woolworths
- Chocolate, coconut sugar etc – Loving Earth
- Free range chicken – Coles and Woolworths
- 180 nutrition protein powder
- Paleo Hero – muesli, bars and supplements
- Grass fed butter – Mainland Butter and Anchor butter and Westgold
- beef jerky – Geronimo Jerky
- Organic coconut oil
- Nuilife coconut oil
- Spiral Foods coconut oil
- Various – Honest to Goodness
Adelaide and South Australia
- Meat – organic/grass-fed etc: P&O organic butchers, located in the city in the David Jones basement in Food Glorious Food, and also on Magill Road. The Magill Road one is far more useful if you are looking for the more ‘uncommon’ parts of meat.
- Coconut Oil – available in several places in and around the Central Market, but for the best value/selection I go to Goodies and Grains in the Central Markets (Gouger St side).
- Coconut Flour – order it through the health food store in Burnside Village.
- Spices/nuts/dutch pressed cocoa/agave nectar – Goodies and Grains in Central Market
Brisbane and Queensland
- Grass fed beef: Super Butchers have a wide selection of grass-fed beef.
- Grass fed meat: Meatcart – Online butchers
- Queensland Natural Beef at Toogoolawah have grass-fed beef, lamb and pork
- Gympie St Terrace Butchery is the place to go. You can even order nitrate free bacon before hand. It’s all grass fed and local meats.
- My Butcher in Duke St also stock some pretty darned nice beef
- Eumundi has an organic butcher as well
- Northey Markets – stock ‘bath’ milk
Canberra and Australian Capital Territory
- Coconut flour: Healthy life, Woden Westfield. IGA Deakin
- Griffith shops has an organic butcher
- Mountain Creek Whole Foods
- Nut Shoppe at the Fyshwick markets good for coconut flour and oils and nuts
Melbourne and Victoria
- Supplements and stock Wicked Whey (choc) and Naked Whey (unflavoured), which are good, clean, locally-made, grass-fed whey protein products – Great Earth
- Kefir – Polish deli at Vic Market
- Rendina’s Butchery in Balwyn stock a huge range of organic, bio-dynamic and free-range meats, including homemade smallgoods (and are lovely people).
- The Vic Market is great with loads of super fresh organic veggies, nuts and spices, and the Chicken Pantry in the shop section sells free range and some organic poultry and game. McIntosh’s sell organic coffee beans.
- Cherry Tree Organics in Beaconsfield are butchers selling their own organic/bio-dynamic lamb and beef as well as pork, chicken and smallgoods. They also have vegetables and some fruit and order bath milk for anyone who likes to take milk baths. They also stock True Organic butter and cheeses.
- I get coconut flour, flakes, and a couple of different brands of oil from Go Vita Berwick
Perth and Western Australia
- Free range eggs – Wanneroo markets, local IGAs have Kalbarri eggs
- Pork Crackle- there’s a local brand called Alan’s Pork Crackle, based in Maddington, you have to hunt down which local IGAs or Farmer Jacks stock them.
- Spices, alternative flours, chia seeds etc – Wanneroo markets.
- Coconut flour – Health Kick stores have Nui brand, can ask them to order it in
- Coconut oil – Health Kick stores and some Friendlies Chemists have them too.
- Cocoa powder Green and Blacks- Health Kick stores
- Grass Fed Beef at Subiaco’s farmer’s markets and frozen raw cows milk
Sydney and New South Wales
- Grassfed beef: Hudson meats in Surry Hills is almost exclusively grass fed. Additionally, I just asked my local butcher, Michael’s Meats (very well priced, in the Surry Hills shopping village) whether his meat was grass fed and he said that almost all of it is. Additionally, Eveleigh Markets near Sydney University on a Saturday grass fed beef stall (Green Hills Organic).
- grassfed beef, lamb and goat from farms in Bowral – Sydney Meats, Farm Fresh to your Door
- Fivefingers in Sydney City. They are Australian priced though so cost way more than in the USA. Excellent customer service!
- Kefir grains, coconut yoghurt and macadamia butter: About Life in Bondi Junction, Sydney
- Enoki mushrooms – Paddy’s Markets mushroom stand for $1.50 a bunch. Asian Thai-kee IGA above China Town Paddy’s Markets has the same enoki for $1.90
- Coconut/palm sugar: Thai kee IGA above Paddy’s Markets in Chinatown. They have all the dried seaweeds (and some fresh (frozen) too.
- The Free Range Butcher, Sydney
- the Grass Fed Butcher, Balmain markets
- Nitrite free bacon: Sam the Butcher, Bondi Rd, Bondi.
- Spaghetti squash: Norton St Grocer in Westfield, Bondi Junction
- Real sauerkraut: the Russkis Deli on Bond Rd, Bondi
- Adam’s Quality Meats in Gerringong, NSW has only grass-fed beef and lamb.
- Supplements – iherb.com – the best place to buy affordable vitamins
Please leave a comment below if you have anything to add or would like your company to be listed.